- Employer - Education Sector Support Programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN)
- The volunteer will primarily be based with the ESSPIN office in ENUGU, and will work with the State School Improvement Team (SSIT) and State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) to strengthen understanding of education systems, school improvement and classroom practice.
- The volunteer will have a range of tasks and activities
- Will be part of Education Sector Support Programme in Nigerias (ESSPIN) School Improvement Team programme with a particular focus in Enugu. There are often opportunities where the Education Sector Support Programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN) colleagues, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) colleagues and VSO come together to share ideas and practices.
- Work closely with the ESSPIN Education Quality Specialist, to support the improvement of the quality of education in the two locations.
- SSIT (State School Improvement Team) have been trained by ESSPIN and SUBEB for the past three or four years . The team is made up of school inspectors, head teachers, teachers, university lecturers, LGEA workers and others. The volunteer will continue to support the training of the SSIT in child centred methodologies such as group work, using teaching aids, asking open questions, assessment methods, raising self esteem, behaviour management etc. as well as giving subject specific support in literacy and numeracy.
- Travel within the state, to the local LGEAs to support and work along the SSIT as they train and support the training in the schools. There will also be the opportunity to travel to and work in other ESSPIN states , supporting the wider programme
- Bachelors Degree or Post-graduate degree in Education
- A minimum of 4 years teaching experience
- Experience in teaching literacy and numeracy.
- Knowledge and experience of working with government officials
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to adapt knowledge and experience to Nigeria
- Ability to support others to adapt ideas to their own context
- Good understanding of subject matter primary education
- Ability to handle responsibility
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to maintain good working relationship
- Good communication skills- creativity in problem solving & conflict resolution
- Enthusiastic and good team player
- Experience of working with and/or developing participatory programmes for children (this would be helpful)
Duration - 24months
Job purpose : To build the capacity of primary school teachers to deliver quality teachings using using child-centered methodologies.
Skills and Knowledge
Recruiter Name:Girija Azavedo